Lately, my new favorite product is raw goat’s milk. I started using it when my three year old golden retriever began belching louder than Barney from The Simpson’s. There’s a lot of buzz about why we should be dairy free, so let me first delve into the difference between cow’s milk and goat’s milk.
Worldwide, goat’s milk, not cow’s milk is the most consumed milk. It has some unique properties that make it a better choice than other milks. The fat molecules are 1/5th the size of those found in cow’s milk, it has a looser curd formation, and a higher concentration of small and medium chain fatty acids which allow it to be digested more quickly and efficiently. Cow’s milk contains alpha-s1-casein protein, which may cause more allergic reactions than goat’s milk. Additionally, cow’s milk contains different forms of the beta-lactoglobulin and alpha-lactalbumin proteins, which have been associated with allergic reactions. Because raw goat’s milk is not pasteurized, lactose intolerant people and pets typically do well on it.
Now that we’ve established that there is a difference between cow’s milk and goat’s milk, let’s look at some of the benefits of goats milk.
- Digestion – Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. Whether it’s gas, loose stools, belching, colitis, diarrhea or IBS, raw goat’s milk can ease your dog’s GI issues. It’s packed with pre and probiotics as well as enzymes which help it wipe out bad bacteria in your dog’s gut and repopulate it with beneficial bacteria. Also, if your dog is on an antibiotic, raw goat’s milk can be invaluable.
- Arthritis or Joint Problems – Raw goat’s milk can help reduce inflammation, pain and swelling. It speeds up tissue repair and helps improve circulation.
- Allergies – Due to its high level of capryclic acid, raw goat’s milk helps fight yeast infections that often occur in response to allergies. It’s a natural antihistamine and contains anti-mucous and anti-inflammatory properties which make it perfect for dogs with food or environmental allergies.
- Immune Booster – Because of the amount of vitamins, trace minerals, fatty acids and enzymes, raw goat’s milk can enhance your dog’s overall health. It’s been shown to fight many common ailments such as kidney issues, liver disease, cancers, diabetes, heart disease, ulcers and various nervous system and brain disorders.
- Malnutrition and Pickiness – Because raw goat’s milk is a great source of easily absorbable protein, it’s a great, healthy, way to gain weight. My dog can attest to it’s palatability. It’s a great topper to add to your picky dog’s food to entice him to eat! It can also be used as a replacement milk for kittens and puppies.
Struttin Pup carries raw goat’s milk from several different companies, like Answers, Primal and Big Bark. All are slightly different (some contain turmeric, some contain honey and cinnamon, some contain ginger, etc) so stop by and ask us for help in choosing the perfect one for your pet!