Coconut Oil can do wonders!
We’ve all heard of feeding your dog fish oil, but coconut oil? Let us explore coconut oil a little. Most of the saturated fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s), which is where most of its benefits come from. Lauric Acid has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. Also, MCT’s are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss.* Coconut oil balances the thyroid and gently elevates the metabolism leading to more energy. It can protect from illness, improve digestion, reduce allergic reactions and also speeds healing. And, like fish oil, coconut oil improves a dog’s skin and coat – without the mercury!
The benefits of Coconut Oil are:
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Relieves arthritis and ligament problems
- Makes coats smooth and sleek and helps with dog odor
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like IBS and Colitis
- Helps reduce weight
- Increases energy
- Regulates and balances insulin, and promotes normal thyroid function
- Applied topically, it promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
Integrative Veterinarian and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Karen Becker recommends ¼ tsp for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily. If you have some coconut oil in your pantry or fridge that you use yourself, treat your dog to it today! If not, Struttin Pup carries K9 Granola Organic Virgin Coconut Oil as well as Bellyrubs Organic Coconut Flakes. The coconut flakes are simple to throw on top of your dogs’ food and they taste delicious. In fact, one customers’ son ate an entire bag of Bellyrubs Organic Coconut Flakes before he discovered they were for his mom’s dog!
*Dogs Naturally, June 8, 2011